14 June 2013

On My Bookshelf: Mad Men, Bad Girls by Maggie Groff

Mad Men, Bad GirlsMad Men, Bad Girls by Maggie Groff
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

“I can’t describe what it is that makes Byron special; there’s an intangible quality that’s difficult to define. Apart from the outstanding natural beauty, there’s a soul that seeps into your bones. Byron is an eclectic mix—cultured and feral, chamomile and gin, tattoo and Gucci. With attitude.” -- Mad Men, Bad Girls

Scout Davis, a diabetic, tea-drinking journalist, lives in Byron Bay, her only company while her partner is away working in Afghanistan a rescued cat she calls Chairman Meow. She’s investigating a rumour that an American cult has established itself somewhere in the Gold Coast hinterland. When she discovers a childhood friend of her daughter’s has been caught up with the group, it becomes personal.

For me, it rambled a little at the start, which I realise was all to do with story and character set-up, but it did make me itch to get to the guts of the story. However, once into it, I didn’t want to put the book down.

Mad Men, Bad Girls is a light-hearted, entertaining mystery laced with that quintessential irreverent Aussie humour. The characters, none of whom are perfect with maybe the exception of Chairman Meow, are real and relatable. A most enjoyable read.

I look forward to reading Good News, Bad News.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment